Monday, January 5, 2009

Afiqah



On the last day of 2008, we welcomed the birth of our second child, Afiqah. She is my mother-in-law's 23rd grandchild and my parents' 5th grandchild. She's also the first girl grandchild for my parents.

She was actually due on the 9th of January, 2009, but my wife had started bleeding on the 27th of December. Just to be on the safe side, we decided to go to the hospital where the doctor admitted her for one night for observation. After confirming that the baby wasn't about to come out yet, the doctor discharged her. The next Monday however, my wife started to feel some pain so I brought her to the hospital again, where the midwife told us that the baby would probably be born the next day.

The next day, the labor room was full so it was only in the afternoon (around 4PM) when the doctor induced labor. Around 7PM, my wife asked for an epidural because she was in too much pain, unfortunately the anesthetist was unavailable at that time so my wife was only given an epidural around 8.

At around 9PM, the doctor tried to get my wife to push, but the baby wouldn't come out. So the doctor tried again at 10 and then again at 11PM. It turns out that the baby's head was too high (the face was facing up, not down). At midnight, after checking again, the doctor decided to do an operation instead.

Our friends Fariz and Wawa were also there as there son Adib (who was born one week before Aqil) was admitted for high fever (plus Wawa also worked at the hospital) plus my Mom was also there. Wawa helped ask if I could come into the operation theater to watch, and the doctor said yes, so I was able to watch Afiqah being born (I didn't get to watch Aqil being born because the doctors at the hospital he was born in wouldn't let me).





Afiqah right after birth

We had some trouble agreeing on a name for the baby, but after a few days we settled on Afiqah which means generous. Her full name is Sharifah Afiqah Binti Syed Mohd Redza.


Hawa and Afiqah


My mother-in-law with my children


My Mom with Afiqah



I have to say I was quite worried about how my son would take to his baby sister since he's not yet 2 years old, but so far he has surprised me by being interested and by being very careful when he touches or kisses her. Hopefully he stays that way and hopefully he won't start to get jealous and rough with his sister. Here's hoping that he'll become a great big brother!




No comments: